Wednesday 28 March 2007

Yellow in March


one of my textile repeats, it's a bit blurry

Thanks for the lovely messages about Marley on the blog and by email. I've not even been sending pre-drafted posts cause I'll get drawn in to blogging and won't get any other work done. I have a lot of work to do, details on some of that next week. But for now a little bit of yellow talk cause if I don't do it now the month will be over.



When I was a kid I loved March cause I'm Pisces but also because it was full of daffodils and yellow was my favourite colour.



When I moved to LA aged 10, where yellow is everywhere all the time, I started to prefer greens and blues, grass and ocean colours. Well, not LA grass, but Scottish grass, which I missed immensely. I've never really been liked bright yellow since then, though I still love more muted yellows, mustards, ochres....



or anything verging more towards orange...




This was the butternut squash I ate at the start of the month. I bought it in November and scraped some patterns into the top, then I couldn't bear to use it because I was enjoying watching the patterns develop and widen as it aged.

Even when I used it I still played with it swirling it on the plate before pan roasting the chunks in obscene quantities of olive oil with onions and maple syrup for about 20mins. I then put a lid over it all so it would start to get steamy and create juices, into which I added quinoa (leftovers from the day before), pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds...lots of sunflower seeds. Very tasty. Tastes good cold the next day too.


I had forgotten about these photo's till I read the March butternut squash and risotto post over at
Living Gorgeously. Have you got any yellow images or yellow recipes to share before the month is over?

6 comments:

Marraine said...

How happy is the yellow colour!
And happy to see you're back!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it seems yellow is everywhere (even in Domino magazine)! Yellow is indeed a happy colour, I am loving all your photos today, and the scraped pattern on the butternut is beautiful!

Susan Schwake said...

the yellows are everywhere it seems! and most lovely of all is in your photos above. will hunt for some yellows now! seems sunny enough an adventure for me.

amisha said...

oh how i *love* yellow... bright and quiet and orangey and beigey... it makes me so happy. loving these lemon and daffodil shots!

Anonymous said...

My darling girl!!!! How delighted I am when you appear in my little world!!! i adore your blog. It is so clean and perfect. I can not think of anything yellow right now...Maybe,Lemon something...Like Lemon bars? Yummy? How are you sweets?? So glad to get such a great post from you! as always!!! xxo,Vanessa
Love your photos and love your squash! annnnd, love what you eat!!! Ooooo!xxo,Vanessa

Cally said...

Hello yellow lovers, you're comments bring a sunny yellow glow every time I come here. Thank you!

I'm being crap at keeping in touch with all 250 of you but I know you'll forgive me, I've posted why on 'thinking a lot' rather than keeping it a dark secret.

thanks as always.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...