Monday 4 June 2007

Organic Clothing UK



Hemp bag & hooded tops from Downbound


H&M (and several other Hight St. shops) are now selling organic cottons! Guilt free High St. shopping may be closer than I imagined. I've not seen what they look like yet, I'm guessing the range is limited just now. And I'd still shop with Howies for good quality items that will last.

I only discovered this after Helen at Living Gorgeously posted about the return of the maxi dress (with my legs this is a blessing from above). I commented that I was off to scour the internet for an organic one (she found one for me later that day, tip top service over on that blog y'know). Me being me, I got lost in links for all my fave organic clothes suppliers - and also found some knew ones PLUS... a new eco shop in Glasgow called Entrading. Hope I can visit this summer. They sell a pretty wide range of eco goods from paints and jewellery to electrical goods (inc. washing machines, fridges etc) to and clothing including items by Seasalt who have I have a summer clothes wishlist with.

I'm always confused about why it takes Scotland SO long to catch up with the US & Canada when it comes to this sort of thing. I used to LOVE shopping, or just simply hanging out, at P'lovers when I lived in Canada. When I went to get their link just now I saw that they have 5 stores now. How lovely, I hope they all smell as good as the one in Halifax. It was such a calming place to be, especially when the alternative was the flat we shared with a guy who said he was building a partition wall to so that my boyfriend and I would have our own room, but what he actually did was just hang a couple of sheets down the middle of the room.

It wasn't a big room so it didn't took a minute for his frequent near lethal curry farts to waft over and choke us (particularly after he silicon sealed the windows so they wouldn't open). And trust me when I tell you that was the very very very least of his
horrible habits. You do not want to know what the others were but let's just say there was a reason why we stopped coming home to sleep there and just stayed in college all day and night. Oh the JOY of 24hr opening at college. That's something else we've yet to catch onto over here or has that changed now?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

Anonymous said...

I keep trying to find the h&m organic stuff but I don't have a lot of patience with that shop anymore! New Look have started a small range too.

Entrading is fantastic, I got a Seasalt top there the other week.

Anonymous said...

The cardigans you feature here from Downhound look so comfortable, and yes, I see maxi-dresses everywhere now. It's wonderful that you are adding snippets about your life, lol about your flatmate :)

Susan Schwake said...

lovely sweaters! today is chilly and wet here and one of these would be splendid!!!

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely bags - but a scary price. What I need are ecologically sound products that are also economically sound; until then I just can't afford to be as principled as I want to be. It's sad, but true. We need an EcoPrimark!

Cally said...

Hi Sarah,
No Primark in Edinburgh but apparently they now sell Organic T shirts in for £4! No bags though.

I've seen much cheaper hemp bags but they didn't look as sturdy, or if they did, they looked to hippy-ish for me.

I'm really hoping that the as mainstream shops try and get in on the act it'll mean prices become more affordable for those of us that have to starve ourselves if we want to buy green.

Helen said...

hey Cally, mayb you could do an eco-fashion piece for gorgeously? You seem much more in the know than I..
And while we're at it, you may want to have a drop by sometime soon... *wink*

Tracy said...

did i know you went to nscad? had quite a few friends go there... oh how i love halifax! lovely links - thanks for sharing! xo

Anonymous said...

I was at a vegan wedding! You would have loved it! Items prepared in fascinating ways! Farts? I just said the word fart in my blog too.. hee hee... xxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...